Today is the first Monday of a new month, which means "Chocolate Party" time again! Last month the lovely ingredient to accompany chocolate was pumpkin. I created the Pumpkin Pie Chocolate Bars, which were so well received. Thank you so much for all your wonderful feedback! November's ingredient, to be combined with chocolate is "cranberry!" Cranberries reach their peak and are harvested from mid-September through mid-November, so what a perfect time to use them in our recipes. A big thank you once again to Roxana's Home Baking for hosting this fun Chocolate Party! Don't forget to check the bottom of my post, where all the Chocolate Party members will be featuring their scrumptious Chocolate and Cranberry recipes!
Although I love cranberries, and actually have two exciting cranberry creations to be posted soon, I was having a hard time coming up with a recipe I felt was worthy enough for our Chocolate Party, embracing both chocolate and cranberries together. It had to be something rich and decadent, a dessert for this cherished time of the year. A time of year that we reminisce over what we are truly thankful for. I'm convinced once you savor the first heavenly bite of my Chocolate Cranberry Fudge Cake with Chocolate Cranberry Ganache, you will have one additional food in your life to be thankful for! :)
This may be the best kept secret in Ocean Spray Cranberry's history, my recipe source. Why did I not find this chocolate gem sooner in my life? Most likely because I wasn't participating in a Chocolate Party that required I use the two ingredients together. :) This is pure elegant baking, yet simple as can be. One bowl, one spoon, and no mixer required. The cake is deliciously dense, yet incredibly light at the same time. The ganache is rich, creamy and beautifully flavored with the hint of cranberry. A descriptive word for Chocolate Cranberry Fudge Cake with Chocolate Cranberry Ganache - OUTSTANDING!
One last thing. See those sweet little sugary cranberries garnishing my cake? Stay tuned to my next post on how to create them!
Until next time…mangia! xox
Chocolate Cranberry Fudge Cake with Chocolate Cranberry Ganache
for the cake:
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate powder (I used Trader Joe's)
1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baked powder
for the ganache:
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup jellied cranberry sauce
mint leaves and cranberries for garnish, if desired
Create the Cake and Ganache:
prepare the cake:
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8-inch or 9-inch round cake pan with aluminum foil. Coat foil with baking spray. Dust pan with flour, tap to remove excess.
2) Microwave 2/3 cup chocolate chips, butter and unsweetened chocolate powder in large microwave-safe bowl on high for 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Microwave for 30 more seconds longer, if necessary to melt chocolate.
3) Add cranberry sauce and sugar; mix well. Add eggs, vanilla, flour and baking powder; mix well. Pour batter in prepared pan.
4) Bake for 38-40 minutes or until center is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool at room temperature in pan 30 minutes, then refrigerate in pan for additional 1 hour, or until cold.
prepare the ganache:
1) Microwave cream and chocolate chips together in medium microwave-safe bowl on high for 30 seconds. Microwave for 30 seconds longer if necessary to melt chocolate. (Mine took approximately 45 seconds total.) Stir until smooth. Add cranberry sauce; mix well.
2) Turn cake out onto serving plate; remove foil. Spread glaze over top allowing some to drip down sides of cake. Chill 1 hour or until glaze is firm. Garnish, if desired. Can be made a day ahead. Store at room temperature, or refrigerate.